Tuesday 10 January 2012

Mascara review

Hey guys!
So today I had to go into town because I was putting on the mac foundation I bought yesterday and knew it wasn't right. It made me look orange! So I went and exchanged that for the nc15 version. I've just tried it out whilst doing the mascara tests and it's definitely my skin tone this time!
Then I went to Boots and I only went in for some conditioner and some Palmers cocoa butter but there were so many great offers on I couldn't help myself. 



Peep Show by Boots 17 (9ml) RRP £6.29 with an introductory £1 off and a free Peep Show quad. 'Where'd ya get those peepers? Flash your lashes with our fibre-rich formula which lengthens lashes from root to tip. Voluptuous volume and no clumps...just a full, flirty flutter'.


I really liked this mascara, I've always liked Boots 17 mascaras, I used their Va Va Voom volumising mascara for ages and loved it. The brush is thicker at each end and thinner in the middle and the whole wand is slightly bent so it's easier to get into the inner corner. The formula is thick which helps volumise the lashes. Overall I really liked this.


Rimmel Day 2 Night (waterproof) RRP £7.99 and I bought it for £5.99. Plus there's 9.5ml in the tube.
Multi-tasking, 2in1 Defined length/intense volume mascara. Top cap: Exceptionally defined and ultra lengthened lashes. Bottom cap: Thickens Lashes with voluptuous, oversized volume, no clumps
Left: Peep Show. Right: Rimmel Cap 1-Length
Left: Peep Show. Right:Rimmel Cap 2-Volume


I somehow preferred the first cap to the second, there wasn't much formula on the brush so the lashes look very natural. However the brush feels very flimsy because there's this tiny cap and thin wand and it feels like you're going to break it. It also takes a bit of work to get the lashes fully coated.
The second cap has way too much product on it. When you first apply it, you get spider lashes and it takes a few swipes to get the amount of product to calm down. It ends up with a nice finish, it just takes a little work to get there. Plus it doesn't look anywhere near as dramatic as the Peep Show.






Finally I bought Revlon Custom eyes (5.6ml) RRP £9.99 but there was an offer that all Revlon Mascaras were £5. Also for some reason because I bought this and Peep Show I also saved another £1.
There's no blurb on this one, just a twisty cap where you can either select: 1. Length and Drama or 2. Length and Definition. I've compared this one with the Rimmel mascara, applying the No.1's to my lashes and then the No.2's.
Left: Rimmel Length. Right: Revlon Length and Drama
Left: Rimmel Volume. Right: Revlon Length and Definition
Comparing the first caps of both these mascaras, the rimmel won right away, I'm not a fan of the flexible rubber wand on the Revlon and it was more difficult to apply. The Revlon seemed very dry and took a lot of work to coat my lashes. My lashes also seem very straight...




When I applied the second cap, the Revlon was much better, it declumped the first cap and seperated my lashes a lot better than the first cap. The Rimmel just made my lashes look spidery..this picture looks awful. I've still got it on and I think that it may be exaggerating a little bit because they look okay in person. 




Overall the best mascara of these three is the Boots 17 Peep show, it applied nicely and is very dramatic. Next is the Rimmel Day2Night as the wand is good and it gives you dramatic lashes. Finally is the Revlon Custom Eyes mascara as the brush is awful and you don't get much product for the price compared to the others. Also I have no idea how this works as turning the cap while the wand is out makes no difference and doesn't seem to do anything when its in the tube...can someone explain that one to me?


Thanks for reading
Hayley

No comments:

Post a Comment